Pages

Monday, December 03, 2012

Troubles Describing Faces

Sometimes as a writer, I find it difficult to describe the physical attributes of my characters. I mean, how much detail is too much detail and when should you add the necessary descriptors?

Face Shape?
Color of eyes?
Skin color?
Hair?
Figure?

What do I include?

Thanks to some handy searches via Google, I stumbled across this fantastic blog post on joshroby.com called "Handy Words for Skin Tones". I was so pleased to find a PDF of different colors and words that perfectly described those skin tones. Seriously, I was so pleased as punch that I made up a happy dance around my desk right then and there! I promptly saved the PDF so I could actually try keeping my sanity. (Let me know if that worked as I'm a lousy judge of that.)

I also stumbled across a blog post by Robert J. Sawyer on his blog, sfwriter.com. His post titled, "Should writers shy away from mentioning skin color?", is a fantastic read and great argument for describing ALL of your characters. I think I'll take his advice and just describe how I see fit!

Hmmm. I think I'll go digest this food for thought.

No comments: